From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: doing some Git work
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:34:52 GMT
Steve Loughran pisze:

> I need some help moving my work onto Git
>
> 1. I am doing some big hadoop changes (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3628  ) and regularly
> updating against SVN_HEAD, publishing revised patches, etc.
>
> 2. I have commit rights, but the team is very strict about patching, and
> none of this stuff is under SCM yet. Partly that is because my employers
> -HP- are still doing some paperwork to tell me its ok to commit it
>
> 3. I'd like to move it to Git so I can publish my defacto branch and
> work on from >1 machine
>
> 4. I do still intend to get everything checked in; this is just a way of
> me working better until that date, and for easier access to others
>
> How should I go about git-ifying it?

Hi Steve,

I believe that Git will help in your situation. Have a look at GitAtApache[1], especially
section called "Git for Apache
committers".

Once you clone Hadoop repository you should create and checkout a new local branch using:
git checkout -b myBigChanges

and start work there. If you need to pull new changes from svn call:
git pull

This will update your master branch. Then you have to either rebase your myBigChanges branch
(if it wasn't published) or
merge master into myBigChanges if it was already published.

I hope that helps.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache

--
Best regards,