From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: doing some Git work
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 09:49:04 GMT
El lun, 02-03-2009 a las 17:10 -0800, Luciano Resende escribió:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Santiago Gala <santiago.gala@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This can also be done with tools like kilt, etc. but git has a good UI
> > for managing the kind of processes where some of your commits are
> > integrated while other one are still waiting, and keep your branch
> > rebased or merged with the current commits...
>
> I'm still an amateur in GIT, and so far have been doing this "cherry
> pick" of commits manually using Git command line in a linux prompt.
> Could you share what set of UI tools you use for this ?

I was referring mostly to command line tools like git-format-patch or
git-am.

I usually use "gitk --all" to browse commits and diffs, and git-gui to
pick up selective hunks for commits when I have diffs involving a mix of
unrelated changes.

Also  gitweb offers a reasonable browsing UI. The variant at
http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git has a feature to diff between a base and any
commit, including at different branches. This is useful for code audit.
I have not found this feature in the official client.

What I found most useful in git is the concept that a commit, or a
revision, is just a diff between two trees (with metainformation). As
such, and modulo authentication, authorization and data integrity, an
email with a patch such as what git-format-patch produces has all the
information required to recreate the repository, i.e., it is a
human-legible dump format.

Hope this helps a bit
Santiago