From "Aidan Skinner" <aidan.skin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next steps with git (Was: Added a simple tutorial on Git cloning)
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:31:02 GMT
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> More a philosophical question. I'm pretty sure that there'll be cases
> where people using git will be pushing the boundaries of traditional
> Apache-style development.

We already kind of did this in Qpid when we had a github mirror. There
were two feature branches by (at the time) non-comitters of OS ports
which were tracking trunk but weren't integrated. They used git to
collaborate with each other directly, without having to mail patches
around by hand. There was some concern about this expressed since the
repo was essentially under one persons control, and it was felt that
the code provenance wasn't clear.

Having said that, I think a lot of those problems were because it was
essentially a forked repo and we could avoid both of those issues if
it was more closely integrated into the Apache infrastructure.

The main thing I think we need to figure out are centrally located
topic branches that comitters can push too, and a mechanism for
pulling from non-comitters trees and preserving authorship of patches.

> The conventional wisdom says that all code changes should go through
> svn or as patches sent to an issue tracker or a mailing list. Should
> we stick to that guideline or embrace the new workflow enabled by git?

I suspect this already happens, I think cheap branches would be likely
to make this happen more openly. Few people really want to do this
kind of behind-closed-doors stuff, it mostly happens because it's
cheaper than SVN branches.

> I guess only time will tell, and my question was mostly meant as an
> indicator that these are the sorts of issues we'll likely encounter.
> Perhaps we could come up with some general guidelines on how to
> approach such issues.

I think this is defiantly something that would benefit from some
thinking before it becames an issue.

- Aidan

http://qpid.apache.org