From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Zone for hosting git clones at Apache
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:49:33 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Paul Querna <pquerna@apache.org> wrote:
> I agree with Justin, we should try to productionize this as much as
> possible, including using role users, and putting it on a real machine, not
> a shared zone box (might still run it on a zone on thor, but not shared with
> other random TLP things).

Sounds OK to me. My original intent was to impose as few changes to
existing infrastructure as possible, but I'd be happy also to go for a
more integrated solution.

> How are you currently running gitweb?

As a standalone CGI script.

The only caching I needed to add is a rewrite rule that maps the main
page (http://jukka.zitting.name/git/) to a static file that I
periodically update.

    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} =""
    RewriteRule ^$ gitweb.html

Otherwise the main page would have taken too long to generate with the
large number of repositories I host.

> I started looking, and it seems to only support CGI or, running inside
> mod_perl -- it seems we would want to use the mod_perl version of course for
> reasonable performance.

Agreed. I haven't tried it yet, but it should be possible to run
gitweb with mod_perl.

> I'm also concerned that it appears kernel.org has forked gitweb for
> performance enhancements, and the upsteam project has not taken these in:
> <http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/22/338>

Yep, when investigating alternatives for the main page cache setup I
did, I got the impression that the main gitweb developers aren't that
eager to add any form of caching.

> Did we want to run gitweb, or another git web based frontend?

No particular preference, I just set up gitweb as it was easily and
readily available.

Note that a git web interface isn't that essential, as you can also
browse all the same information using a local clone of a git
repository. A git web frontend on apache.org would essentially
duplicate the functionality of our viewvc interface, just with a
different perspective (per project view, commits instead of files as
primary entities, etc.).

BR,

Jukka Zitting