From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: CLAs and LDAP
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:46:48 GMT
On Dec 6, 2008, at 6:45 PM, Paul Querna wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>>> In the ldap schema, we likely need some way to mark someone as
>>> having a CLA or not.
>> If we had a self-maintained account system, then we could incorporate
>> the CLA in the account-granting process.  In other words, display the
>> CLA and have them enter their name (while logged in) to indicate that
>> they accept the CLA (or not).  That amounts to a digital signature
>> under US law and we wouldn't need the scans.
>
> *cough* So, just to confirm, if we came out with a web based 'sign
> the cla' web app, which was directly tied to svn (and shell)
> account creation, this would eliminate the current need for how we
> do CLAs?

Yes.  We'd just need to log the acceptance and version of CLA accepted.
That also allows folks who want commit access to agree to the CLA long
before we vote to give them commit access, thus removing another
barrier.

It is actually more provable than a written signature, since there
won't be any question that the person with the account is the same
as the one that signed the paper.

....Roy