From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:17:40 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
<gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
> Since we have something working and we have gained enough experience to sort out most
of the
> problems that may arise maybe we should let others know about our experiments? I have
in mind
> sending an e-mail to committers@ list informing about Git activity at Apache.

I guess we're still some way from informing committers@, but you're
right in that it's now time to move forward with this setup.

Here's what I think we should do:

a) Set up the mirrors on Apache hardware. We could for example request
a Solaris zone like git.zones.apache.org for this. It would be good to
have at least two or three administrators to avoid making me a
bottleneck.

b) Clean up and document the mirror maintenance scripts (currently at
[1]) and move them to an appropriate location under
repos/asf/infrastructure. It should be possible for a new
administrator to get up to speed with just some pointers to
documentation.

c) Improve and extend the documentation we now have in the wiki and
move it to an appropriate location under www.apache.org/dev.

d) Start using the INFRA project in Jira for git tasks like setting up
a new mirror.

There's also the open issue of how to best handle contributions made
via git. Should we always insist on patches or would a pull request be
OK? It would be good to have some documented best practice for such
cases.

Another issue to think about is our approach to people publishing
their clones on places like github. On one hand it's good when people
do that as making your working copy public is one area where git
really helps collaboration. On the other hand we'll want to make sure
that development efforts won't splinter to other forums.

[1] http://github.com/jukka/apache-git-mirrors/tree/master

BR,

Jukka Zitting