From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP : first step
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:00:16 GMT

Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Tony Stevenson wrote:

US

>>> IMO, there should be a flag in the entry set to TRUE when the person
>>> get karma. This is somehow exposed in the proposed OC I posted 2
>>> weeks ago.
>>>
>>> So you cna mix committers and non-committers in the same branch,
>>> getti,ng all committers will just be a matter of using a filter like
>>> (asf-committer=TRUE).
>>>

>> I don't like the idea of this.  The idea that a non committer can
>> create an account through bugzilla with a "cn=foobar" and therefore
>> allowing them to squat on any given free namespace, doesn't sit well
>> with me.
> I see your point. And we'd better put every non-committers created on
> another LDAP server too, in order to avoid DOS (creating an entry on
> LDAP is _costly_, I can imagine some robots creating thousands of
> entries in confluence for many reasons...)

This was actually a point raised on IRC earlier this week.  One LDAP
server for "internal" services.  Another for public accounts on services
such as moinmoin, conflucence, bugzilla.

Could we potentially get the internal services LDAP server to sync one
way with a public services LDAP instance, and merge with the public
services instance?  So that committers can login using their availid,
etc.  Without the need to configure 2 LDAP servers.

>> I ideally want to use a different subtree to keep them distinctly
>> apart, and using a different OC, perhaps.  As I think we need to use
>> the email address they provide as the DN for their object.  Not just
>> any old name.
> Not a problem. We can then use mail=joe@the.plumber instead of
> cn=something as the RDN for those users...

Exactly. If we can keep all of these in one OC, then we have the option,
to potentially just 'move' their account if they become committers later on.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony Stevenson
tony@pc-tony.com  //  pctony@apache.org
http://www.pc-tony.com/

1024D/51047D66 ECAF DC55 C608 5E82 0B5E  3359 C9C7 924E 5104 7D66