From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LDAP : first step
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:46:46 GMT

Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
>> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to create a first version of a minimal schema for our need,
>>> based on what we discussed those last 2 weeks, and to create entries
>>> for our committers.
>>
>> Is it possible to use attributes from standard schemas before
>> inventing our own? Or is the plan to create an objectclass containing
>> the standard attributes we are specifically interested in?
> Sure !
>
> I'm pretty sure we can do everything using PosixAccount atm.

Excellent. This will certainly make things simpler if we can use this,
or just expand upon it with our own OC.

> As I said, let's start little, and extend everything step by step. If we
> have to create our own ObjectClasses and AttributeType, migrating
> everything should be easy (just a matter of extending this OC).

This actually sounds like the best idea going forward.  If we run with
our own OC, we can easily extend it as we come to configuring services
such as Bugzilla/Confluence and the like.  If we stick with PosixAccount
we may come unstuck in the future.

Of course we will test this as soon as we are ready, but, I think a
little forward thinking right now will certainly help us in the long term.

Even if our own OC is the same as using the PosixAccount OC (for now)
this is fine, as we are then not stuck down a path that means
editing/extending that OC.

I will arrange for one Solaris zone, so that we can deploy one test
environment. There is a currently one such zone, but I would rather
start with a clean slate as this still has scatterings of OpenLDAP
amongst other things.

Once we start working on any actual software, we need to document it, so
we can then use that in the event of the actual production servers being
deployed.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony Stevenson
tony@pc-tony.com  //  pctony@apache.org
http://www.pc-tony.com/

1024D/51047D66 ECAF DC55 C608 5E82 0B5E  3359 C9C7 924E 5104 7D66