From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject LDAP and authoritative data
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:56:48 GMT
Hi all,

Up until this point, the authoritative source for ASF data has been
various files stored in subversion (members.txt, etc).

A key advantage of this method is that we have a full auditable history
of what our "state" looks like, and how we got into that state.

A key disadvantage of this method is that while we have a very strong
store of data, this data isn't readily accessible, thus the effort to
publish this data in an LDAP server.

The introduction of LDAP raises a question:

Is the intention of the LDAP initiative to become the master and
authoritative data store for the ASF, replacing members.txt and friends, or;

Is the intention of the LDAP initiative to become a slave and
non-authoritative data store for the ASF, populated automatically by
changes to the authoritative files (members.txt etc) currently stored in
subversion (probably using some kind of scripting).

Regards,
Graham