From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tweaking Git config so committers can dcommit after cloning
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:09:14 GMT
Jukka Zitting pisze:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
> <grek@tuffmail.com> wrote:
>> It looks like committers can clone from your repository in order to avoid extensive
cloning from svn
>> and push back their changes to svn server after initializing git-svn properly. Moreover,
if
>> committers are careful enough (e.g. they make sure that authors file is always up-to-date)
then they
>> can easily exchange their trees with other so all power of Git is available for them.
>
> Excellent stuff! This seems like a major leap forward.

Thanks. I'll have to thank Git community for their supreme support.

>> Jukka, could you try to set this on Cocoon? Then I would like to try cloning and
initializing git
>> svn. If we are successful then we can start documenting how to clone, how to work
with cloned
>> repository and, finally, how to push changes back to Subversion.
>
> Done, there's now a "trunk" branch in the Cocoon mirror that points to
> the refs/remotes/trunk branch managed by git-svn. If it works well,
> I'll do the same also for all the other mirrors.

I've done a quick test. Just cloned your repo again, executed these two commands and the result
can
be seen here:
http://jukka.zitting.name/git/?p=cocoon.git;a=commit;h=6b47790388e5a9e91eb8c319134b68e85d4b14dd

Basically, this proves that this method works but we'll have to investigate further to check
if we
don't need to create symbolic links for *all* branches that git svn creates.

I guess I'll have more time to spend on this issue over a weekend.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski