From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Tweaking Git config so committers can dcommit after cloning
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:54:02 GMT
Hello,

This e-mail is addressed to Jukka but there are some points interesting to others, I believe.

I've decided to find out if our problems previously discussed[1] could be easily resolved.
I've
posted my questions[2] to Git mailing list and the feedback[3] was excellent quick and very
informative.

It looks like committers can clone from your repository in order to avoid extensive cloning
from svn
and push back their changes to svn server after initializing git-svn properly. Moreover, if
committers are careful enough (e.g. they make sure that authors file is always up-to-date)
then they
can easily exchange their trees with other so all power of Git is available for them.

The whole process is easy and fast, after cloning you have to run following (assuming you
are in top
directory of your project):

  git symbolic-ref refs/remotes/origin/trunk refs/remotes/origin/master
  git svn init --prefix=origin/ -s https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/$PROJECT_NAME
  git svn rebase

This will initialize git svn without repulling from svn. You may wonder why the first step
is
needed. I won't go into details (everything is in thread I've started).

Anyway, I think this step should be eliminated by more git svn-friendly setup at Jukka's server.
This can be achieved simply by running (once per repository) following command:

  git symbolic-ref refs/heads/trunk refs/remotes/trunk

This way Git will create refs/remotes/origin/trunk reference automatically during cloning
process
and only two steps will be needed.

Jukka, could you try to set this on Cocoon? Then I would like to try cloning and initializing
git
svn. If we are successful then we can start documenting how to clone, how to work with cloned
repository and, finally, how to push changes back to Subversion.

WDYT?

[1] http://markmail.org/message/7gdqxvlcmyik2m63
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/102447
[3] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/102505