From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cleanup of /www/www.apache.org/dist/*
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:10:54 GMT
Henk P. Penning wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >Would it be possible for your tool to summarise at
> >the level of each KEYS file rather than just the top-level?
> >For example, "incubator" and "xml" and "ws" etc. would
> >then have more relevant detail.
>
> David,
>
>   there are now 169 KEYS files ; see
>
>     http://people.apache.org/~henkp/checker/md5.html
>
>   I think that's a little too much detail ; some projects
>   keep KEYS files deep in the tree, on the version level,
>   for example tomcat.

Yeah, i thought it would not be simple, but glad
that i asked.

>   I'll see what I can do ; maybe report (per project) on
>   the highest level where a KEYS files is found.
>
>   Hobby horse:
>
>     wouldn't it be nice to have a formal description of the
>     ((sub-)sub-)project structure, sitting in a database,
>     instead of trying to glean this info from '/dist/' ?

Yes. Perhaps we could have a data file which defines
a general structure which would fit most existing
projects. It could enable the others to define different
paths to their dists.

These data would be utilised by various emerging infra tools.

>     also, the KEYS file setup stinks imho ; for a proposal
>     to improve things, see
>
>       http://people.apache.org/~henkp/trust/

Keep suggesting. It will gather steam.