From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git mirror for Cayenne (vs. git-svn)
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:31:57 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Andrus Adamchik <aadamchik@apache.org> wrote:
> I've been following the git discussions on various lists, and finally got
> enough motivation (and just a bit of spare time) to try it out. I'll be
> traveling a lot this month, and I would like the ability to commit my stuff
> locally when I am on the plane, or waiting for connections at an airport.
>
> Wanted to ask about other's experience: what is the preferred way - using
> git-svn or Jukka's git mirror? Or is it really the same level of daily
> effort and bandwidth? (I am talking about authorized access by a committer
> here)

Time- and bandwidth-wise the fastest way to get started is to clone
one of the git mirrors I'm hosting. That'll give you full project
history to play with in an (almost) pure git fashion with no git-svn
needed. I just scheduled a mirror of Cayenne to be created.

However, the downside is that the mirrors are strictly read-only, and
there is no easy way to use things like dcommit from git-svn to commit
your local changes to Apache svn. You'll need to explicitly apply the
patches from your git clone to a separate svn checkout and commit them
using a normal svn client. So this option is best if you either don't
have commit access to the project in question or just want to play
with git using a familiar codebase as the playground.

If you already have commit access to the project you're working on and
want to use (or try) git for some real work on it, using git-svn
directly is a good idea. The initial clone will probably take a while,
but after that things are fast and efficient. Note that you'll
probably want to clone just the history of the trunk of your project,
as currently git-svn can be extremely inefficient when cloning lots of
branches and tags from projects that have moved around (typically from
incubator to TLP) in the svn repository. To get started (with just the
trunk history), use the following commands:

    git svn init https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk cayenne
    cd cayenne
    git svn fetch --log-window-size=10000 --authors-file authors.txt

The authors-file option is optional and if present should point to a
file like the one I've make available in
http://jukka.zitting.name/git/authors.txt. If present, the option is
used to map account ids to the names of the committers.

BR,

Jukka Zitting