From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GIT mirror for Tuscany?
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:33:12 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
<jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> It seems like the best approach for mapping your repository structure
>> to git would be to for example create separate mirrors for the SCA,
>> SDO and DAS components.
>
> Yes, seems like the best approach, the SDO and DAS components may not need
> to be mirrored as they've not been very active recently.

OK.

>> mappings for the tags in tags/java/*. There is no similar structure
>> for the branches directory, so I'd just map all branches to all
>> components. This would create unneeded branches in each of the
>> component mirrors, but at least all the none of the unneeded branches
>> would be lost.
>
> Makes sense. There's quite a few branches and tags though, so if you want to
> save some space on your server we may not need all of the old ones which are
> just sitting there with no activity.

Due to the way git stores things the extra tags and branches won't
really take that much extra space, they just cause the initial
mirroring to last a long time.

>> I scheduled the creation of an example mirror for the SCA component.
>> I'll ping when it's ready for you to take a look.
>
> Just saw it. I had not realized it was there until today :) Thanks!

It's actually not yet ready, what you're seeing is a partial mirror
that I had to restart after some random network failure. The full
mirror is still being built... I don't have any easy way to predict
when it'll be ready, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still lasted a
few days more.

Once the mirror is done, keeping it up to date is very easy and efficient.

> The example mirror looks good to me except for the fact that the history is
> incomplete (stops when our tree moved from incubator to a top level project
> in June 2008, and some history in mid-2006 to 2008 period is missing too).

That's most likely due to the fact that only the partially completed
mirror is currently visible. I'll ping you as soon as the full mirror
is done.

> And again, we probably don't need all the old branches and tags.

Mirroring the branches takes quite a while, but it's easier to get
them all than to select just a few. And once the initial loading is
done, keeping the mirror and all the branches and tags in it up to
date is quite efficient.

BR,

Jukka Zitting