From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making git mirror synchronized on every commit
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:10:00 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
<gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
> Have you found out how to push changes applied to repository coming as a clone
> of your repositories? This is actually the only missing step to make full use of your
hosting.

I was thinking of making the git mirrors available also as pure
download packages (see http://jukka.zitting.name/git/download/ for a
first shot at this), so people could download the pre-created mirror
and use git-svn to fetch any updates directly from Apache svn without
having to go through the expensive initial cloning.

Unfortunately, as soon as you have more than one client doing fetches
with git-svn, there's a risk of version histories getting out of sync
(due to different authors files or other settings) between different
repositories. Then you couldn't swap changes anymore by just pulling
and pushing them around.

Also, currently the download packages come with some of the extra
settings that I set up to make the git side look nicer (automatic
local copies of tags and branches, etc.) and that won't survive if the
mirror is used outside my setup.

There may well be ways to work around these issues, but so far I
haven't been putting too much effort on that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting