From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making git mirror synchronized on every commit
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:59:03 GMT
Jukka Zitting pisze:
> The reason why I wanted to leave at least a short interval between
> potential updates is that for larger commits the commit notification
> messages get split into multiple messages that at worst could trigger
> multiple subsequent updates. It's easy enough to prevent updates to
> run concurrently, but I'd also want to avoid hitting the svn server
> repeatedly after just a single commit.

What about matching Subject of notifications and triggering the update only if Subject field
does
NOT match the following regexp:
"svn commit: r[0-9]+ \[[2-9][0-9]*/[0-9]+\]"

>> PS. I don't want to use Git for real contributions at this stage because bypassing
>> JIRA is not an option so some further research will be needed.
>
> Agreed. We should probably at least use the issue tracker or the
> mailing lists to communicate pull requests so there won't be problems
> with development splintering to privately coordinating subgroups.

It's not only about having coordination outside Apache but also about enforcement of Git.

I don't want to enforce Git on anyone who just wants to apply some patches from random contributor
so probably the only solution would be that someone create a JIRA issue and provides:
1. Link to his Git repository (optional)
2. Normal patch that can be applied with svn (required)

The idea is to extend current model and not replace it.

> Git
> can simplify and streamline patch handling a lot, but you're right in
> that further research is needed to figure out how it'll best fit
> within Apache workflows.

Exactly.

Moreover, it would be nice to provide some instructions on how different users can maintain
their
own vendor branches of Apache projects before their patches are applied upstream.

>From my own experience it's rather clear that Git handles such situation in a much, much
better way
than SVN does and there were people at Cocoon mailing list asking for such tips already.

Is there any good place were such documentation could be put?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski