From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making git mirror synchronized on every commit
Date Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:04:51 GMT
Jukka Zitting pisze:
> Hi,

Hi Jukka,

Thank you for your prompt response.

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
> <grek@tuffmail.com> wrote:
>> The final question goes to Jukka: Are you fine with adding such feature to your server?
>> At the beginning we could add this experimentally just for one project (Cocoon) and
>> see how this performs.
>
> Why not, though I'd like to move carefully so we don't accidentally
> start putting extra load on svn.

I have the same concerns especially because I don't know how exactly git-svn updates the clone
and
how much of queries to server it needs to perform its job compared to svn up command.

> I set up something similar to what you proposed on my server, though
> instead of periodically polling an RSS feed I actually subscribed a
> custom address to cvs@cocoon.apache.org and  configured it to flag the
> Cocoon repository as needing an update whenever a new message is
> received.
>
> I also have another process that periodically (once a minute) checks
> that flag and starts git-svn to update the mirror whenever needed.

Could this period (1 minute) be little bit shortened?

I probably should provide some background: The reason why I came up with this idea to make
your
repositories up to date with SVN is to get rid off git-svn usage for pulling changes and rely
on
your mirror completely.

Then I would like to start experimenting with exchanging patches to Cocoon codebase using
Git. The
idea is that someone that wants to contribute to Cocoon uses normal Git workflow:
 1. clone repository
 2. prepare branch with changes
 3. publish it
 4. let committer know about this repository

Then (me or someone else with svn committer rights) merges such repository using Git and only
then
its being committed using git-svn.

The crucial thing here is that both committer and contributor have their work on top of clone
of the
same repository so there must be one central repository from where everyone clones from.

The svn repository is not an option because, AFAIK, git-svn ran two times will create two
different
repositories so all powerful branching and merging is gone.

In order to make such setup successful and easy to work with we need to be sure that Git repository
is up-to-date all the time.

PS. I don't want to use Git for real contributions at this stage because bypassing JIRA is
not an
option so some further research will be needed.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski