From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making git mirror synchronized on every commit
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:25:55 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Jukka Zitting pisze:
> > The reason why I wanted to leave at least a short interval between
> > potential updates is that for larger commits the commit notification
> > messages get split into multiple messages that at worst could trigger
> > multiple subsequent updates. It's easy enough to prevent updates to
> > run concurrently, but I'd also want to avoid hitting the svn server
> > repeatedly after just a single commit.
>
> What about matching Subject of notifications and triggering the update only if Subject
field does
> NOT match the following regexp:
> "svn commit: r[0-9]+ \[[2-9][0-9]*/[0-9]+\]"
>
> >> PS. I don't want to use Git for real contributions at this stage because bypassing
> >> JIRA is not an option so some further research will be needed.
> >
> > Agreed. We should probably at least use the issue tracker or the
> > mailing lists to communicate pull requests so there won't be problems
> > with development splintering to privately coordinating subgroups.
>
> It's not only about having coordination outside Apache but also about enforcement of
Git.

> I don't want to enforce Git on anyone who just wants to apply some patches from random
contributor
> so probably the only solution would be that someone create a JIRA issue and provides:
> 1. Link to his Git repository (optional)
> 2. Normal patch that can be applied with svn (required)
>
> The idea is to extend current model and not replace it.
>
> > Git
> > can simplify and streamline patch handling a lot, but you're right in
> > that further research is needed to figure out how it'll best fit
> > within Apache workflows.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Moreover, it would be nice to provide some instructions on how different users can maintain
their
> own vendor branches of Apache projects before their patches are applied upstream.
>
> >From my own experience it's rather clear that Git handles such situation in a much,
much better way
> than SVN does and there were people at Cocoon mailing list asking for such tips already.
>
> Is there any good place were such documentation could be put?

I reckon at http://apache.org/dev/
See [1]

This documentation is under the purview of ASF Infrastructure
(and ASF members in general i suppose). It needs to encourage
best-practice use of our services and maintain the ASF
collaboration practices.

Content would come from this infrastructure-dev@ list and
the infrastructure@ list and the site-dev@ list. For stuff
about the collaboration side of things, there was also the
general@ incubator back when git discussions started.

Doing such /dev/ documentation is a challenge. There are
gems of knowledge on all ASF lists.

This should be able to head off the need for every project to
discuss and document this stuff separately. A quick search of
incubator and other apache lists, shows that already happening.

[1]
http://apache.org/dev/#infra
http://apache.org/dev/infra-site.html

-David