From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Making a public git mirror of an Apache project
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:07:51 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
<gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
> I would like to know if you are fine with me pointing a few Cocoon users to
> your server as they are now completely stuck when it comes to tracking
> Cocoon using Git.

No problem, as long as they are aware of the experimental status of
this service. I'll add a warning on the main gitweb page.

> Next thing I would like to know is what are your plans and how much of load
> your server can take?

My main reasons for creating the mirrors were to find out how to
provide an alternative to the lengthy (and resource-intensive) git-svn
clone operations and how to make Apache codebases accessible through
git also for non-committers (i.e. people without access to
https://svn.eu). I think I've now figured out the answers to those
questions, and as a second step I'm interested in whether and how
people find the mirrors useful. So any feedback from experimentally
minded users would be welcome.

My server (a Fujitsu-Siemens Primergy RX100) is a currently rather
underutilized and I have more than 150GB of unused traffic capacity
per month, so I should be able to serve at least hundredths of git
users with no trouble.

> Personally, I would prefer to see a VM instance established for Git hosting
> purposes and other Git-related experiments.

I'd be happy to move the mirrors over to an ASF server, but I
understand well why infrastructure feels hesitant to add new services.
For now it's probably best to gather feedback using my server.

> Then it would make sense to find out how typical contributor to Apache
> project could benefit from using Git-clone of Apache repository for
> preparing a patch. If we find any benefits then it would probably make
> sense to document how such process should look like.

The use cases discussed on this list already describe a number of
cases where a tool like git has benefits over svn. And of course a git
mirror will be convenient to people who already know git better or
prefer it over svn. But of course Subversion should still be the
preferred tool if there is no reason why a user would be better served
by git.

Personally I find the history browsing, patch/branch management and
offline commit capabilities of git to be so valuable that I rather use
a git clone than an svn checkout of the projects where I'm not a
committer.

> So the basic question is: what we want to do next?

If there's interest, I'm happy to keep serving the git mirrors and add
new ones as requested. It would be nice to gather some examples of how
people are using the mirrors. Also, we could try to find out how much
demand there is for a service like this.

BR,

Jukka Zitting