From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 19:12:01 GMT

You said:

> >  So what about using a zone to create a space where anyone with an
> account on
> >  p.a.o could have his own public git repository?

That, to me, sure sounds like you want to create a git repository for
everyone...

> And as I answered to your e-mail:
>
>  "The idea was more to experiment how it would work for a few people and then
>  if we start having scaling/admin/repository issues. That would be a first
>  step toward either a migration plan or a give up plan."
>
>  So is that asking for a switch?

I hope you realize the difference between what you initially said and
what you said above.

But, you don't need a zone to come up with a plan as a zone doesn't
offer you any significant benefits.  (Plus, we're not creating zones
anyway now due to a substantial backlog and lack of resources.  So,
even if we wanted to do so, it wouldn't happen for a few months.)

What I absolutely don't want to see is a proliferation of git
repositories on our hardware that the core team is expected to
maintain and that have gaping security holes because the people who
set them up didn't bother to think about security.

As I said to Santiago, please present a plan that indicates that
you've actually put some thought into it - not just "create a space
where anyone with an account on p.a.o could have his own public git
repository."  That, frankly, isn't enough detail to make me believe
you understand what is involved.  -- justin