From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 19:04:39 GMT
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Santiago Gala <santiago.gala@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Not asking for a switch, only for an alternate service, much like zones
>  have not removed p.a.o stuff.

As I have repeatedly said (and as you seem to consistently ignore), it
is impractical for the core infrastructure team to support multiple
SCM tools.  I'm not vehemently opposed to switching - but there needs
to be at least a modicum of thought put into it before sticking the
infrastructure team with a new SCM.

>  Testing something like this in a zone scale would give us a better idea,
>  and again no need to a "switch" plan, just to a "sustainability as a
>  service" plan.

As I've repeatedly stated, a 'zone' does not offer you anything at
all.  The fact that you're asking for a zone indicates that you don't
understand how git is designed to work.  It is meant that you have a
local copy of the entire repository.  Having a remote copy sitting on
another server is to defeat the purpose of a dSCM.

>  This is why I call your (collective your) "WE DO NOT DO THAT!!!" or your
>  (again collective your) "I want to see a detailed switch plan!" as FUD.
>  And I'm really getting tired of it. I was not expecting such dirty
>  political moves around an issue that is so plainly technical, and I was
>  not expecting that disagreement of those items made some people
>  systematically cast doubts about our "loyalty" to the ASF principles.

First off, we will *not* be deploying any services that don't have a
thought-out and documented plan.  This is simply good system
administration practice.  If you continue to ignore this and whine and
blather on, you simply won't get anywhere.  I won't apologize for
asking that you spell out what it is that you want before considering
anything.  -- justin