From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 18:50:55 GMT
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
<gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
>  Justin, pardon my ignorance, but do you know any tool that imports whole
> repository history without making many requests to our svn servers? You
> already support fisheye, ohloh and similar services. Aren't they putting
> lots of load at *initial* stage?

The Fisheye guys know to contact us before importing history as they
know that they have routinely brought the machine down.  AFAICT, Ohloh
hasn't worked off SVN but rather off releases - and, to the best of my
knowledge, they haven't tripped any of our DoS measures...yet.

>  Personally, I don't understand what's exactly your problem with me using
> git-svn.

I only care as much as you don't place an unreasonable drain on our
public services.  If it takes 100x more compute and network power to
service git-svn than a normal svn client, then our capacity is blown
out of the water.

I have to provision the resources as best as I can given the ASF's
constraints.  We don't have an endless amount of CPU or network cycles
to spend on users using tools that are inefficient and deny service to
others.  If you'd like to donate either your time or money to seeing
we have the service you desire, it's appreciated.  Until then, I have
to make the decision that serves the most people.  -- justin