From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: early availability of svn.eu.apache.org
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 00:44:09 GMT

--- Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> Following up to let you know that I'm now
> successfully using
> svn.eu.apache.org for normal work. Works well and is
> very responsive.
>
> I'm only 12 hops from svn.eu.apache.org versus 20
> hops to
> svn.apache.org, and the network roundtrip time is
> down from 200+ ms to
> 30+ ms. Also svn operations are much faster, an svn
> log or svn blame
> on a moderately actively modified file (170 changes)
> takes 30+ seconds
> on svn.apache.org but less than 5 seconds on
> svn.eu.apache.org.

The lower latency and greater disk performance of
svn.eu.apache.org vs svn.apache.org should do wonders
for EU users.  What we need now are more committers
willing to put the mirror to use.

Please do what you can to promote the existence of
this machine by posting to community@ or any other
mailing list or blogs where you think it will help.
The infra team will work on the documentation for it,
but I'd prefer we try to promote it via word of mouth
first and gain a bit more experience with it before
announcing it's general availability to committers@.