From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject [scm] Server load from git-svn vs. normal svn clients
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 10:45:33 GMT
Hi,

This has already been touched at in other threads, but I wanted to
focus on it a bit more. Git-svn and other clients that keep a local
copy of the entire version history of a project have a noticeable
startup cost that puts load on the svn server.

However, once the startup cost is over, the local copy of the version
history makes it unnecessary to query the central svn repository for
many other uses. For example I use svn log, svn blame, svn diff -r,
and svn merge quite often, hitting the svn server each time. I need
such server access much less for the incubating projects for which I
have local git-svn clones, as I can easily get all the information I
need from the local copy of the version history.

Thus, even though the startup cost for git-svn is high, I believe that
over time the average server load is not so different from normal svn
clients.

BR,

Jukka Zitting