From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 19:25:22 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Justin Erenkrantz
<justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>  As I've repeatedly stated, a 'zone' does not offer you anything at
>  all.  The fact that you're asking for a zone indicates that you don't
>  understand how git is designed to work.  It is meant that you have a
>  local copy of the entire repository.  Having a remote copy sitting on
>  another server is to defeat the purpose of a dSCM.

The reason the zone idea was raised was to work around the potential
load git-svn would put on the svn server. If we only had a single
git-svn mirror pulling from svn and all other git users pulling from
that mirror, then there would be no need to worry about the load on
svn.

But as discussed, the expectation is that svn.eu.apache.org should be
able to deal also with git-svn load (which, as Santiago mentioned,
might even be less or at least not noticeably higher than that from
normal svn clients), so for now I don't think we need the zone, just
some patience to wait until the current svn server crisis is over.

BR,

Jukka Zitting