From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject [scm] Discussing vs. doing (Was: Best Practices so far?)
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 13:05:07 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
<gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
> As I previously said at @infra I'm not that much interested in discussions
> with [dSCM] tag even if they are enjoyable to read from time to time. I
> think that we should focus on _doing something_ and my choice is to let
> existing Apache committers to try out dSCM tools in a full manner.

The reason why at least I wanted to focus on use cases at first is to
make it clear WHY we need better tools instead of focusing directly on
WHAT those tools should be or HOW we should be using them. The latter
questions are of course quite essential, but especially given the
heated opinions about this topic I think it's very important that we
make it clear that the need for better tools is real and that we're
not just looking for shiny new toys.

I think now that we already have a good body of valid use cases (see
the archives) we can start focusing more on the implementation
details. Also, I think the discussions so far have quite clearly shown
that we should be looking at incremental improvements on a number of
fronts, including svn upgrades (1.5) and enhanced server infra (eu
mirror, etc.), better interoperability with various scm clients
(git-svn, IDEs), guidelines for patch and branch workflows, etc.

So, I'm happy as we can move on to actually doing things and solving
the detailed problems we come across, but I also hope people
understand the value of having spent some time just discussing the
issues in general. I believe that we now have a much better collective
understanding of what the key issues are and how we should go about
solving them.

> (andd of course: infra is busy with higher-priority tasks so my wish is not
> intended to be fulfilled right away)

+1!

BR,

Jukka Zitting