From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [scm] Server load from git-svn vs. normal svn clients
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 18:39:01 GMT
Santiago Gala wrote:
> El lun, 05-05-2008 a las 09:08 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz escribió:
>> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  Thus, even though the startup cost for git-svn is high, I believe that
>>>  over time the average server load is not so different from normal svn
>>>  clients.
>> I think it'd be worth quantifying this as I don't buy it.

<snip/>

> Now, every svn log I do needs to walk down the whole history of commits
> which, for instance, is now 408 or so:

408 commits seems too small to be really meaningful. I think trying this on
something with a few more commits, eg Tomcat (around 35k) or httpd (around
57k) would be more interesting (obviously once the mirror is up) and give a
much more useful comparison of 100% centralised vs mostly centralised with
a local copy.

That said, whilst I personally have use cases that would benefit from a
local copy I believe that svn 1.5 will address most if not all of these.

Mark