From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Sat, 03 May 2008 00:33:27 GMT
Joe Schaefer pisze:
> It does, and they are partly responsible for the
> genesis of mod_dontdothat.  IIRC Ohloh was checking
> out / from anonymizing proxies.  Without
> mod_dontdothat
> we were powerless to stop them.

Good to know that. I thought they are nice, open source believers with full of respect...

> You probably hit the bug we've been hoping will get
> fixed soon, since it corrupts the repo.

I see, good to know that it's (probably) neither git-svn nor svn fault. As you probably already

know, I keep my fingers crossed for all of your effort.

>> No disaster
>> happened to svn.eu.apache.org that I'm aware of.
>
> Right.  Too many svn log hits tho, which can be
> mitigated by the flag we've been discussing.

Yep, that's been only the first try. Next time I'll use this flag, no doubt.

> I wouldn't worry about tweaking it, to be honest.
> I think there's a good chance we will be able to
> support git-svn from committers, but we're a little
> unsure about how and where to draw the lines.

Really good to hear that!

I understand the attention you pay to establishing some rules here. I would just go with simple

option of allowing committers to perform full cloning of their favorite projects but ask them
rather keep their copies private. This is only to not cause any false impression that ASF
is
switching to Git or people can work-around standard procedure of supplying their patches to
JIRA.
The procedures we have now should stay in place and usage of git-svn should be allowed as
an
_additional_ option compatible with standard svn usage, IMHO.

Even though I quite like Git I don't want to force anyone from my project to learn Git or
even
understand how Git works. I want to stay as transparent as possible therefore I see plans
for
involving Git in patches consumption as rather premature.

PS. Joe, I enjoy your posts full of concretes that make twenty of earlier, heated posts irrelevant.
;-)

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski