From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 23:53:42 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz pisze:
> The Fisheye guys know to contact us before importing history as they
> know that they have routinely brought the machine down.  AFAICT, Ohloh
> hasn't worked off SVN but rather off releases - and, to the best of my
> knowledge, they haven't tripped any of our DoS measures...yet.

repository. The exception is the first attempt that I was sure will fail at the early beginning
so
no load would be put on svn server.

Ohloh provides[1] commits listing at regular basis so it must gather this information from
our svn
server, right?

> I only care as much as you don't place an unreasonable drain on our
> public services.  If it takes 100x more compute and network power to
> service git-svn than a normal svn client, then our capacity is blown
> out of the water.

Any client that pulls *whole* history of project is going to put some load on svn server.
It's obvious.

However, I'm going to do this only *once* in my life so we are really discussing something

exceptional that could be negotiated to be performed where the load is lower (e.g. at night).
What's
more funny, I almost done this already using svn.eu.apache.org but something has got corrupted
at
the very end of the whole process. No disaster happened to svn.eu.apache.org that I'm aware
of.

Tell me the limit of requests to svn server I can perform per hour and I'll tweak my toys.
It will
take maybe two weeks to finish because of your limit but at least I won't distinguish from
the crowd.

> I have to provision the resources as best as I can given the ASF's
> constraints.  We don't have an endless amount of CPU or network cycles
> to spend on users using tools that are inefficient and deny service to
> others.

*Sight*, current tools are inefficient because they stop me from effectively browsing project

history that I'm working on. I do lots of refactoring and for me it's critical to easily and
quickly
understand where the piece of code comes from. Current tools are inefficient for that kind
of task.

> If you'd like to donate either your time or money to seeing
> we have the service you desire, it's appreciated.  Until then, I have
> to make the decision that serves the most people.  -- justin

Justin, I repeated several times that I don't want to discuss politics because I don't feel
as an
authority here. I'm ASF committer for only one year now so I may not understand all community

dynamics to formulate any political statements.

I'm just a math student that does not happen to have big fat money in my pocket so I can't
afford
any new server. All I'm interested in is to resolve my *purely* technical problem of cloning
Cocoon
history once per my whole life. If you think that simple cloning using git-svn is to extensive
to be
taken *once* by svn.eu.apache.org I'm fine with that.
Provide me a svn dump. I'll setup an svn server on my machine, load dump provided by you and
do rest
of the work offline.

I think that we (people willing to clone ASF projects) have provided a wide range of possible

solutions to our, ASF commiters', problem. If they are all stupid and you know better then
I'm all ears.

I really hope to not hear another "no, no" as it would be an evidence that I'm contributing
to a
black whole.

[1] http://www.ohloh.net/projects/cocoon/commits

--