From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 17:56:06 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz pisze:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Matthieu Riou <matthieu@offthelip.org> wrote:
>>  So what about using a zone to create a space where anyone with an account on
>>  p.a.o could have his own public git repository?
>
> We have no intention or plans, at this time, to supporting public git
> repositories hosted on our servers.  We have our hands more than full
> at the moment.

That's understandable.

> If you want to host it yourself on your own equipment, I can't stop
> you.  (And, I won't as long as you don't DoS our boxes.  Which is what
> git-svn does out-of-the-box.)

Justin, pardon my ignorance, but do you know any tool that imports whole repository history
without
making many requests to our svn servers? You already support fisheye, ohloh and similar services.

Aren't they putting lots of load at *initial* stage?

Joe has been observing my attempts to clone Cocoon repository and he admitted that git-svn
is not
such a stupid tool as it may seem at the beginning.

FYI: I'm using git-svn for three months now while developing Cocoon and I bet that you will
find *no
evidence* in logs that my client was git-svn. Especially, you won't find any evidence of DoS

performed by my git-svn instance.

> But, there's a *lot* of work that would
> go into properly publicly serving yet-another-SCM and I've not seen
> anyone bother to come up with a full and detailed migration plan.  (As
> before, if we switch, it'll have to be a complete switch.)  -- justin

Obviously, I'm not in the camp "let's switch to Git" either. What only worries me is that
you seem
to only see two options:
   a) let's switch to Git for every single repository ASF serves in SVN now
   b) let's stick to SVN at server-side and close any discussion about using Git on client-side

Personally, I don't understand what's exactly your problem with me using git-svn.

I have no intention in discussing politics here. The only problem I have is that svn lacks
some
features that *I* see very important to me. It's ability to quickly and powerfully explore
project
history.

I've contributed to Cocoon fairly a lot of work that is stored on ASF servers. I fail to understand

why you want to seriously limit access to my work and my colleagues' work.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski