From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: early availability of svn.eu.apache.org
Date Sat, 24 May 2008 10:52:58 GMT
> On 23/05/2008, Paul Querna <pquerna@apache.org> wrote:
>  > sebb wrote:
>  >
>  > > OK, thanks.
>  > >
>  > > It's certainly much quicker for me here in the UK using SVN (via Eclipse).
>  > >
>  > > However, it seems to be quite time-consuming to swap servers.
>  > > It does not appear to be possible to use "svn switch" as the repos are
>  > > regarded as different.
>  > >
>  > > I ended up having to delete my existing project and download it again,
>  > > which seems rather a waste of bandwidth.
>  > >
>  > > Maybe next time I'll tried editting the .svn/entries files - but there
>  > > are rather a lot of them.
>  > >
>  > > Anyone got a better method for switching servers?
>  > >
>  >
>  >  svn switch --relocate \
>  >  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk \
>  >  https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk
>  >
>  >  works for me?
>  >

> Works for me too, now I know about it - thanks very much.
>
>  Should have checked the documentation...
>
>  ... I now have, and the Subclipse version has to be run in the SVN
>  repository view, and it then changes all the working copies using that
>  repository.

But what the documentation I saw fails to say is:

* Subclipse only updates projects that are currently open
* It deletes the repository entry after updating the open projects.

As it happens, I also had some lower level repository entries.
These were not deleted, and when I opened an unconverted project it
attached itself to one of those.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I had not had the spare repo URLs.

As it stands, I would not recommend using Subclipse to do the relocate.

[I'll raise a bug about this]