From Henning Schmiedehausen <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Sun, 04 May 2008 12:18:47 GMT
On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 12:04 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> As I've repeatedly stated, a 'zone' does not offer you anything at
> all.  The fact that you're asking for a zone indicates that you don't
> understand how git is designed to work.  It is meant that you have a
> local copy of the entire repository.  Having a remote copy sitting on
> another server is to defeat the purpose of a dSCM.

Any central place with <other SCM> mirror copies would allow

- defined poll intervals from the SVN server, which could minimize
traffic or push this traffic to off-times
- reduce or remove the need for svn-<something> bridges because there
would be a central place to access Apache project source code in another
format
- allow interested parties to toy with these tools *without* interfering
with day-to-day SVN operations
- allow infra to tighten the access rules on the SVN server for tools
and simultaneously relaxing the access rules for this central place to
allow efficient transfers off the SVN server
- give a defined testbed to work *with* infra instead of rogue
experiments from all over the Internet.

Think of this as another way of creating "daily snapshots" of our source
tree. Maybe this would ease your mind.

The idea of a zone was born at the dSCM BoF in Amsterdam because a zone
allows isolation and control of such an experimental infrastructure with
*minimal* impact on the existing systems.

Maybe you or any other infra members should have bothered to be there.
Dialog is good and a pillar of the ASF.

You still seem to believe that this discussion is "intended to kick SVN
out". For most participants, it is not (AFAICS). This is "how can we
augment the existing infrastructure in new ways, that are outside
conventional thinking".

And from what I have seen, a lot of people like Jukka have invested a
considerable amount of thinking before asking. I don't think, anyone
should belittle this.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | JEE, Linux, Unix
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache Java Software

INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350
Gesellschaftssitz: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen

  char name_buf[257];           /* max unix filename is 256, right? */