From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Sat, 03 May 2008 06:23:44 GMT
El vie, 02-05-2008 a las 20:56 -0700, Paul Querna escribió:
> Santiago Gala wrote:
> > El vie, 02-05-2008 a las 12:59 -0700, Paul Querna escribió:
> >> For the record, I would wager our Subversion Repository is one of the
> >> busiest single repositories on the internet.
> >>

> > For the record also, I would say that this is so because it is
> > a) one only repository for every single project
>
> But this is a feature, and allows things like incubator -> TLP
> migrations to happen with full history in a few seconds.

just to give an example, with git: "cd repoA; git-format-patch <option>|
(cd repoB; git-am <options>)" Does exactly this

But, what's more, git allows to pull from disjuncts repositories, easily
and in a controlled way. No need to have a common repository to share
history and export/import/move it.

A single repository is not a feature, it is a workaround to the lack of
the feature to copy commit graphs between repositories.

> > b) centralized
>
> I also believe this is a feature for the "ASF Way".

No, community-driven development is. I have been around the ASF
community for 8 years now, have always promoted community oriented
communications and interaction, and have always been against
centralization. "Loosely joined tribes of projects for community
development" describes the ASF much better, including the Apache ways,
and I can't see centralization as a feature of the Apache tribes.

On the contrary, they were supposed to stand so much against the Spanish
conquerors and the US colonizers  because of their *de-centralized*
social structure.

> > c) with a very verbose wire protocol, which makes it slow for extra
> > bonus
>
> TBH, DAV isn't all that slow. I'm not sure why you say it is.  Serf vs
> neon is a good example of how a client written in the right way with
> pipelining can be very fast.

I see how much it takes to pull reasonably similar sets of commits from
different projects using git or svn, and git ones are consistently
faster. Nothing low level, just user experience.

Regards
Santiago

--
Santiago Gala