From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 22:41:16 GMT
El vie, 02-05-2008 a las 12:59 -0700, Paul Querna escribió:
> Santiago Gala wrote:
> > El vie, 02-05-2008 a las 12:04 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz escribió:
> >> As I have repeatedly said (and as you seem to consistently ignore), it
> >> is impractical for the core infrastructure team to support multiple
> >> SCM tools.  I'm not vehemently opposed to switching - but there needs
> >
> > Nobody is asking for support for SCM tools. Just for conditional removal
> > of anti-protocol measures in our server, that basically makes it
> > non-functional for non-functional reasons. I don't even dare to think
> > that this is done on purpose to cast FUD on tools like git, but I have
> > not seen a single problem using git-svn with any svn repository except
> > ours.
>
> For the record, I would wager our Subversion Repository is one of the
> busiest single repositories on the internet.

For the record also, I would say that this is so because it is
a) one only repository for every single project
b) centralized
c) with a very verbose wire protocol, which makes it slow for extra
bonus

i.e., I don't take the fact as an asset, but as a liability.

> Until this week, it was running on 4 year old hardware, and could not
> keep up with all of the traffic it was receiving.
>
> Give infrastructure a few weeks with the new machine in, and to get the
> SVN Mirroring up perfectly (currently blocked on an Subversion bug
> upstream). Then we will be able to reassess the restrictions in place.

No problem with it. I know this is not a good moment to make changes,
even if they were possible at all.

--
Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/