From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 11:26:51 GMT
El vie, 02-05-2008 a las 12:51 +0200, Grzegorz Kossakowski escribió:
> Santiago Gala pisze:
> >
> > --log-window-size=100 (default) It was /me mentioning it on IRC, IIRC
> >
> > I had to use higher values to "hack" over mod_dontdothat (my guess) and
> > get a couple of TLPs cloned. Values of 1000 or 10000 revisions were not
> > being harmful at the time, IIRC I talk about it with Justin a couple of
> > years ago, when I did my first experiments. The higher the value the
> > more memory the client takes, the more revisions asks the server pre
> > request (actual load depends on setup-tear down in the server, I'm not
> > sure). The higher the value the faster the cloning will complete.
> >
> > Not sure about safe values, though. In our case, even asking for 10000
> > revisions in a subtree can make little load, if most of those revisions
> > fall outside of the tree, I guess.
>
> It was me who has been struggling with cloning Cocoon's repository and constantly hitting
the
> mod_dontdothat. I'm quite surprised by your saying that tweaking --log-window-size can
make
> mod_dontdothat happy.

I think it depends on the error you meet, I'm guessing. If you hit it
because git-svn is going to ask REPORT of the root of the repository,
there is no way to fix it. But I *think* sometimes I was hitting other
limits, like number of requests, and then making it higher means less
requests. Up to /100 requests

Some people (Henning?) told that actually the project being cloned has
to be 2 levels above root to succeed. This is consistent with my
successes cloning (incubator/)shindig and (portals/)bridges, but not
other public repos.

I have been able to clone all private ones I tried, so I guess the
limits are not there for those. Also for projects outside the ASF.

> Has been anyone successful with cloning from svn.eu.apache.org? What was your setting?
>

>                                                 ---o0o---
>

> As I previously said at @infra I'm not that much interested in discussions with [dSCM]
tag even if
> they are enjoyable to read from time to time. I think that we should focus on _doing
something_ and
> my choice is to let existing Apache committers to try out dSCM tools in a full manner.
> I would rather prefer seeing some actions leading to establishing standard procedure
for existing
> committers letting them clone their favorite repositories without pain I'm experiencing
now.

Disallowing mod_dontdothat from IP addresses like p.a.o might help. Just
an idea.

> This would at least allow people to formulate their opinions basing on a real research.
>
> (andd of course: infra is busy with higher-priority tasks so my wish is not intended
to be fulfilled
> right away)

++1 please don't do anything unless you are
a) anxious and with no task at hand or else
b) everything is working as intended and you got your nominal hours of
sleep for a few days... :)

And big thanks for the effort.

--
Santiago Gala