From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 10:51:56 GMT
El vie, 02-05-2008 a las 12:07 +0200, Henning Schmiedehausen escribi├│:
> BTW, if you want to have fun, try finding documentation for that
> parameter. Only then you will realize, how spoiled we are with the
> Redbook.
>
> That is IMHO the biggest obstacle to git: Bad, missing, outdated docs.

git-svn is perl, I actually found it inside while debugging why our
setup was not working. One of the big problems with git-svn is that it
tends to fail silently and without giving much error information. Some
recent commits are improving documentation and error codes, but there is
still a lot missing to go there.

This is part of the things that convinced me that what we do here is
experiment and keep options open, and this is why I get very reactive to
proposals that look like "planning a migration". (But also to those that
look like "status quo forever and ever")

I guess we should do slow, optional movements, just trying to sail with
the tide. Having more options, etc.

I guess even getting a reasonable standard format for representing
changesets (what git-format-patch produces, or what tools like cvs2ps or
svn2ps produce) ´╗┐good enough for everybody would take forever.

Regards

--
Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/