From Henning Schmiedehausen <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [dSCM] Use case: infra down for maintenance
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 10:21:07 GMT
On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:42 -0700, Matthieu Riou wrote:

> So let's see:
>
> 1. I develop something locally
> 2. I post a patch in Jira for review
> 3. Someone gets the patch and reviews it
> 4. My patch is brilliant, I commit it.
>
> Compare to:
>
> 1. I develop something locally
> 2. I make it available from a public mirror or my local copy
> 3. Someone looks at it
> 4. My patch is brilliant, I push it.

Step 2:

a) one JIRA at https://issues.apache.org/jira

b) somewhere, that might be down, not accessible, and everyone uses
   different locations. Hunting down needed.

That is the difference. And it is huge. As Sander wrote, the ASF wants
to *enforce* a centralized development model. Because it is a pillar of
our community. That is a political, not a technical decision.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | JEE, Linux, Unix
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache Java Software

INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350
Gesellschaftssitz: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen

  char name_buf[257];           /* max unix filename is 256, right? */