From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Practices so far?
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 10:12:24 GMT
El vie, 02-05-2008 a las 04:56 -0400, Davanum Srinivas escribió:

> Cool. Next steps to complete one scenario (helping new contributors contribute)

I just answered partially several of these questions in a separate email

> - - Suppose i am a prospective committer. How do i make a patch available for review?
(what needs to be mentioned in a
> JIRA issue)

See how I did it for SHINDIG-146, for instance, I prepared 3 different
patches, as described in my other email. One with 4X commits in a format
that was easy to read (move detection), another with those changes in
just one diff (for humans), and another for robots (the humans are dead,
I sniffed one, definitely is dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGoi1MSGu64 )

This:
git format-patch -M -C --stdout synd-rename-3 --not master >NAME.patch
would get it going, -M is move detection, -C is copy detection, so those
are removed for "robots" (patch)

The "humans" patches could easily be omitted if a gitweb server is
available with the issue code as a branch, as their goal is to use
move/copy detection to simplify reading files renamed with only a few
class or package name references changed.

> - - Switching roles, how does an existing committer, pull the patch and give it a whirl?
(before i check it into Apache
> SVN).

See the other email: basically git-am
JIRA-PATCH-GENERATED-WITH-git-format-patch will commit it (better in a
branch) where it can be looked into or even merged partially with trunk
before applying.

> - - Finally, how do i get this patch from git to svn? with enough information about the
JIRA issue etc.

I did "git svn dcommit" a number of times, biggest were SHINDIG-146 and
one for the site with a lot of generated html. It works as a normal
commit, but it applies (at least in my setup, not 100% sure about it)
move/copy detection automatically. git does not store deltas, but whole
trees, so there is no way that git knows about files moves or copied,
and the way git-svn propagates the changeset upstream implies move/copy
detection. This could be tuned somehow in git-svn, I guess.
Re: keeping issue references, I just used the name in the commit log, I
guess something better could be done, but I'm not sure we can do
something better than now.

Note I tweaked the gitweb install I did in p.a.o to detect SHINDIG-\d+
and turn it into a link to jira. My perl is rusty but I still was able
to do a oneliner like this one. Not so much as to be able to loop it on
all the live-and-changing JIRA projects.

--
Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/