From "Jesse McConnell" <jmcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [scm] Version control tools for contributors
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:02:08 GMT
I won't address the individual points, just generally explain what I mean
since I think its pretty basic.

It breaks down to how the tools are going to be used.  Obviously, if the
changesets being consumed by a project are small and often then its really
not that big a deal either way.  Processing large patches or changesets are
always a big deal and the intent behind many GSoC projects are nontrivial,
sizable chunks of code.  How the student (or anyone) is presented with the
environment on which they work is an important factor to consider.  It
doesn't matter if the conduit for these things making it back into the
project are patches attached to jiras or distributed scm's the onus is on
whoever is reviewing them to do the right thing.  People can be careless
with either system.

If apache is going to go through the process of setting up an infrastructure
to promote non-merit based scm backed contribution then I think it makes
sense to

a) sandbox that contribution
b) make review of contributions as simple and as safe as possible

As for killer use cases, I think it has been this list that has had a number
of mails back and forth talking about broader use of different types of
scm's and how that would work at apache.  I was just saying that I don't see
this as the 'everyone should do it this way' place to use distributed scms
which is what the a thru d of this mail was discussing...

I have nothing against distributed scm, they are awesome, I am just saying
that that being the way all gsoc contributions should be processed seems
dangerous to me which was the purpose of this thread (at least I thought so)

cheers!
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell