From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Use case: Continuous integration
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:44:26 GMT
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I haven't looked at how "svn update" is currently implemented, but
>  AFAIUI there should be no inherent reason why the operation could not
>  be as cache-friendly as a feed request.

'svn info' against a URL is pretty efficient on both ends.  ('svn info
--xml' for double bonus points, I guess.)

However, 'svn update' *always* requires a local working-copy crawl -
so it's highly impacted by the local disk speed.  On our CI boxes, we
see most of the time spent doing the WC crawl in the update.  So,
*local* disk speed becomes a critical factor.  (When SVN moves to
non-severable WCs with centralized metadata, then update will be a
little faster, but may still require some form of WC crawl.)

I talked with Brett about this in the last few days and I think he's
hoping to implement a 'svn info' check in Continuum soon.  -- justin