From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Mob version control
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:15:17 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Erik Abele <erik@codefaktor.de> wrote:
>  Apart from the (quite essential) maintenance overhead there might be
>  legal concerns, e.g. we would be publishing/endorsing things not
>  covered under a CLA etc. etc...

We already do that in our wikis, the issue trackers, and of course
also on the mailing lists. Of course we'd need to apply legal
oversight when migrating code from the "contrib" repository to the
official codebases, but we already have similar processes in place for
normal patches and documentation contributions that flow from the
wikis to project web sites.

>  IMHO it would also kind of under-mine our core principle of
>  meritocracy ("hey, i can write to the contrib repo so why should i
>  care to become a committer or work within the existing community");
>  not that it couldn't be useful in e.g. recruiting new committers or
>  fostering the community but I think there's some dangerous potential
>  here.

The crucial difference would be that nothing in the contrib repository
could become a part of an official release without explicit action
(i.e. legal oversight and merging to the official codebase) by a
"real" committer. But it's a good point to be considered.

BR,

Jukka Zitting