From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject [scm] Mob version control
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:24:14 GMT
Hi,

Mentioned by Santiago on
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/2008/03/17/Mob-software. Any registered
user can currently contribute using the most of our mailing lists,
many wikis, and the issue trackers, but our version control system is
strictly read-only to non-committers. I know there are many good
reasons for keeping access to the official codebases limited, but how
about providing tools for contributors to work together on example
code, utility tools, experimental patches, etc. Many of our projects
have "contrib" folders for code like that, but often such code ends up
rotting due to the relatively high barrier of sending and applying
patches.

What would it take to make parts of our version control system
read-write to all contributors? (Hmm, "non-committer" wouldn't really
be an applicable term... :-) Just like we have separate "private" and
"asf" repositories, could we add a new one like "contrib" that any
registered contributor could use? I'm sure that would require lots of
extra maintenance, but are there fundamental issues that would prevent
that or at least make it undesirable?

BR,

Jukka Zitting