From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Use case: code review/audit/study
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:40:05 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Santiago Gala <santiago.gala@gmail.com> wrote:
>  A developer needs to study or review a code base for certain features,
>  typically either tracing the origin of those or just doing historical
>  analysis. Or just to learn, nothing like finding how a feature got
>  inside a project or has evolved to learn how to modify it. Or debugging,
>  say tracing a regression.
>  [...]
>  As with any subjective impressions, YMMV, of course. Any other pointers
>  to this kind of browsing tools?

Atlassian's FishEye is pretty good for such use. It's commercial, but
they offer free licenses or even hosting for open source projects.
There's also clear demand for FishEye support from many Apache
projects and some of them are already registered at
http://fisheye6.cenqua.com/.

I've seen some grumbling about the initial svn load when new projects
are added to FishEye, but AFAIK once the initial import is done the
load on our Subversion server is not too bad.

What would be the instructions from Infrastructure to an Apache
project that wants to add FishEye monitoring of their codebase? Is
that OK? Should they use http://fisheye6.cenqua.com/? Should
Infrastructure be notified? Are there special requirements for the
timing of the initial import or some other ways to reduce the load on
our Subversion server?

Based on the answers I'd like to come up with a short FishEye FAQ for
Apache projects.

BR,

Jukka Zitting