From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [scm] Mob version control
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:24:40 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>>> It is my understanding that anything that's in our SVN is an Apache
>>> release.
>>
>> This is not (necessarily) the case. See
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>
>> Mark
>
> Oops, sorry.  I meant distribution, not release.  Anything
> that's in SVN, we're distributing, it's available to the general
> public from an Apache server.

Until we do a release, we have far more leeway. For example, it doesn't
(usually) cause us a problem if someone attaches a patch for Tomcat to a
bugzilla issue and they have copied from code Glassfish. We just don't
apply the patch.

It is only a problem if we apply the patch to svn and cut a release. Even
then, if it is done unknowingly and we move quickly to rectify the problem
when it is pointed out, there are (usually) no issues.

Bottom line, a repository that is open to the public is no different to our
public wiki or our public issue trackers. There should not be an issue
providing we continue to review patches that are committed to the
'internal' repository. For a definitive opinion you can use the
legal-discuss list.

Mark