From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [scm] Mob version control
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:55:32 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Erik Abele <erik@codefaktor.de> wrote:
>>  Apart from the (quite essential) maintenance overhead there might be
>>  legal concerns, e.g. we would be publishing/endorsing things not
>>  covered under a CLA etc. etc...
>
> We already do that in our wikis, the issue trackers, and of course
> also on the mailing lists. Of course we'd need to apply legal
> oversight when migrating code from the "contrib" repository to the
> official codebases, but we already have similar processes in place for
> normal patches and documentation contributions that flow from the
> wikis to project web sites.
>
>>  IMHO it would also kind of under-mine our core principle of
>>  meritocracy ("hey, i can write to the contrib repo so why should i
>>  care to become a committer or work within the existing community");
>>  not that it couldn't be useful in e.g. recruiting new committers or
>>  fostering the community but I think there's some dangerous potential
>>  here.
>
> The crucial difference would be that nothing in the contrib repository
> could become a part of an official release without explicit action
> (i.e. legal oversight and merging to the official codebase) by a
> "real" committer. But it's a good point to be considered.

I do think Erik has a point.  I'm no legal expert by any means, but
from my current understanding of affairs, I think there may some
obstacles to the idea.  Maybe I'm wrong, though.

It is my understanding that anything that's in our SVN is an Apache
release.  So we have no leeway here: if it's in SVN, due diligence
needs to be applied.  So I think anybody committing to SVN, no matter
the branch, would need a CLA in place.  Patches are different because
they *are* applied by a committer, and it's the committers' responsibility
to make sure that what they're committing clean IP-wise.

More legalese: suppose a new feature got implemented in the contrib
area, and the project wants to merge this new feature into their
trunk.  Are the tools good enough so the provenance of the code that
gets merged in can be determined?  Can we tell who all contributed
to that feature?  With a patch, we do know.

--Thilo