From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [scm] Use case: Continuous integration
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:20:01 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,

> Also, for the record of evaluation push vs. pull models, currently the
> entire ASF generates an average of about 15 commits an hour (much more
> in peak times). A normal project or codebase probably sees at most a
> commit or two per day on average.

Depends on your process. Here's how I commit @work

http://www.ohloh.net/projects/5150/contributors/22119081577892

-this is full time work, not spare time feature creep.
-we're allowed to big refactorings, though it means every 20+ child
project is loaded in an IDE with 1+GB of heap
-no merging of the day's work; every defect should have a limited set of
JIRA tags
-our CI server is running builds with functional tests every 30 minutes
-you are allowed to break the build, but you get to fix it or take that
test offline until you do

with a fast CI server you can get away with commit-and-wait-for-CI news,
rather than the stricter policy of test-before you commit. Certainly I
make sure the tests of the bit I'm working on work, but since it takes
10+ minutes to build and test, I delegate that wait to the CI server.

As a result, we're always changing and committing things. If you hold
back to end of day commits, you've reverted to  nightly builds.

Jira is another point; JIRA polls the repo pretty regularly too. I'd
hate to see what the sourceforge load is there; I'd hate to not have
that JIRA integration, which is lovely for discovering why a file was
changed, and what is related(*).

1. How about you have the SVN tools being able to issue XMPP
notifications rather than any non-standard subcribe/notify protocol?

2. OhLoh does a commit log: http://www.ohloh.net/projects/5150/commits
  it would be nice to have something like that with links to JIRA defects.

-Steve

(*) Trivia note, have you noticed that the code search tools focus on
the code, not the commits. I dont need a search tool for code, I have an
IDE for that -what I like to do is know what was the person writing it
thinking at the time.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/