From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [scm] Use case: Continuous integration
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:25:25 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Santiago Gala <santiago.gala@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  El sáb, 01-03-2008 a las 14:06 +0200, Jukka Zitting escribió:
>>  > 1) Push-based CI: [...]
>>
>>  There is currently a trend to have feeds associated with SCM servers.
>
> Feeds are certainly useful, but in this case I don't see how they
> differ that much from doing an "svn update". You're right in that
> feeds are probably much easier to cache, but it's still basically a
> pull operation.

The difference is probably the load needed to generate the status. A
feed you GET with an etag, and a not-modified response says your REPO is
up to date. if you are running http requests from CI servers in a
corporate system, the proxy server can cache the response. Now, when the
tree has changed, the update still has cost.

>>  > there are enough computing resources either at Apache or an external
>>  > CI lab for such potentially high-frequency integrations, would the
>>  > associated load on our Subversion server be acceptable? If not, how
>>  > could we resolve such issues?
>>
>>  I'm not sure about the issue. you mean that the CI server would do
>>  checkouts and delete the data for each run? if this is the case, and
>>  this is the only case where I can see a potential high load, I'd say the
>>  alternative of having some sort of incrementally updated clean
>>  sort-of-distributed repository from where to pull seems reasonable.
>
> I recall complaints about some external CI systems putting too much
> load on our Subversion server. I'm not sure what the exact nature of
> the load is, but it seems clear that some guidelines would be useful.

Intel doing harmony builds. Part of the problem is the polling puts a
lot of CPU load. I think also Cruise Control polled to look for
stability before a build.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/