From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject [scm] Use case: code review/audit/study
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:31:34 GMT
This is quite similar to the offline commit use case, and I'm finding
myself more and more doing it.

A developer needs to study or review a code base for certain features,
typically either tracing the origin of those or just doing historical
analysis. Or just to learn, nothing like finding how a feature got
inside a project or has evolved to learn how to modify it. Or debugging,
say tracing a regression.

With subversion this is not a viable option unless one can have a local
copy of the repository, and even then there is not a clear interface for
browsing history, that I know.

Using git-svn and later "gitk --all" to view/browse the whole history is
great for this use, and very fast once the repository is imported. Even
gitweb access to remote repositories offers a better UI than I have ever
seen in any other tool.

gitk offers plenty of search options, and works quite well. git offers
also a "git grep" command, and "git annotate" to look for provenance of
code. "git log path/to/file" is fast too.

While bazaar offers a reasonable interface for code "massaging", it
falls short of git in the support of svn repositories branches.

I tried to use mercurial for this kind of task, but I have not been able
to find good UI browsers and I tend to find the web UI from "hg serve"
confusing.

As with any subjective impressions, YMMV, of course. Any other pointers
to this kind of browsing tools?

Regards
--
Santiago Gala