From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git for other open source projects
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:52:21 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Santiago Gala <santiago.gala@gmail.com> wrote:
>  El jue, 28-02-2008 a las 01:51 +0200, Jukka Zitting escribió:
>  > What are the practical situations where git is better than
>  > the alternatives?
>
>  It is damned fast. This is a substantial part of it.

Good point and IMHO an important non-functional feature.

I guess the main speedup comes from having a local copy of the
repository. This will probably not be feasible on the whole ASF scale,
but having an easy way to mirror the full revision history of a
project would be really cool.

I guess git-svn is closest to making that happen and it might be
useful to spend time looking at the problems you mentioned.

I also recall seeing something similar (checkout including a local
copy of relevant version history) being discussed on the Subversion
mailing list some while ago. I'll see if I can dig it up, or perhaps
someone closer to Subversion knows better.

BR,

Jukka Zitting