From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject [scm] Use case: Offline commit
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 01:39:00 GMT
Hi,

Here's another use case that's not high priority to me, but still
something I run into every now and then:

A committer is offline for a while but wants to keep working on a
number of issues in a project. Once done fixing a bug or implementing
some new feature, it should be easy to file that change somewhere safe
waiting to be committed in the central repository once back online.
The changes for the different issues could be either independent or
overlapping (in which case this use case shares some characteristics
with the Sequence of changes case).

Implementation options:

Currently the best way to achieve this would be to use "svn diff" and
"svn revert" to create a patch for the change and to restore the
working copy to a baseline state for the next issue. Once back online,
the committer would apply and commit all such patches. While
reasonably usable, this solution doesn't work very well with
overlapping changes.

Another option would be to use tools like git-svn or svk that allow
commits to a local version of the repository. Perhaps also a local svn
repository with a vendor branch containing the project sources could
be used for this. I'm not sure how usable any of these solutions would
be.

Hmm, just thinking about the latter option, does anyone know of plans
to support "pull" style merging of remote changes directly to a
Subversion repository instead of a working copy? Perhaps I'll contact
the Subversion team directly about that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting